The Haldane Society condemns the killing of the 46 South African mineworkers at Lonmin's Marikana mine which occurred on 16 August and has sent a statement in response to the Chairman and Chief Executive of Lonmin, South Africa's President Jacob Zuma, and the Minister for Police. We support the Lonmin workers' demand for a living wage and call for:
(1) an immediate end to the police siege to Marikana;
(2) the police to stop all attacks against the workers;
(3) the right of the workers to fight for their demands and choose their representatives;
(4) compensation for the families of all those injured and killed; and
(5) nationalisation of the mines under workers’ democratic control and management.